Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Books Galore!

I have a problem.
My book list keeps expanding...
while my time to read keeps growing smaller and smaller.
And to make matters worse,
look at what I just got in the mail...





It may take a while, but I'll be sure to let you
all know my thoughts after reading each of these.

I also ordered a few essentials to assist me in
my study of scripture and prayer life.

This commentary has already proved to be
extremely helpful in my personal study of Genesis.

Why Genesis?....great question.
I have been unfair in my treatment of the Old Testament.
When it is time to pick a new book of the Bible to personally study,
a book of the OT rarely stands a chance.
I realize that my approach to the scripture is somewhat skewed,
and this has caused me to cling to the NT and shy away from the OT.

Here it is...my confession of selfishness....
I tend to approach scripture with the "me" attitude...
"How can I apply this to MY life?"
"What does this mean for ME?"
"me...me...me"

It's hard to answer these questions when reading an OT book.
Instead, I find myself asking "what does this teach me about my God?"
Hm...maybe I should have been asking this question all along?
Please don't get me wrong, we ARE supposed to take scripture and apply it to our lives.
But, if we are approaching scripture with the purpose of learning about our Creator and Savior, won't the application follow suit?

Do you ever find yourself going to God in prayer but at a loss for words?
I love the promise found in Romans 8:26...

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit
himself intercedes for us through wordless groans."

I also love this book, Valley of Vision, because it is a compilation
of Puritan prayers that are excellent models of prayer.
Let's face it; sometimes we just need a little help!
Lastly, a small devotional book on joy.
I love having this as an extra encouragement when I start my day.
And, each devotional takes only 2-3 minutes to read!

My fellow bookworms - What are you guys reading right now?
Any titles I need to add to my list? :)

xo, Caroline

1 comment:

  1. I was totally moved by this post, Caroline. Wow! I have got to get these books on my "list" to read.
    I think the {art} of reading has fallen to the wayside with all of the technologies and the business of life.
    Thank you for posting these books.
    :)

    Linda Matthews

    ReplyDelete